Birmingham's Statues, Sculptures and memorials
|| The Bull a twice life size sculpture by
The bronze Bull sculpture in the new Bullring
Birmingham. is approximately 4.5 metres in length and about 6.5
tonnes, it is one of the largest bronze animal sculptures in the country.
The sculpture is sited at the newly created Rotunda Square (still
to be named officially) at the junction of New Street and High
Street. The design is based on the Hereford Bull with its association and
historical links to Birmingham.
|The statue of Lord Nelson
The 7ft 6in
figure has been in the Bull Ring since 1809 was the first statue of Lord
Nelson to be put up in Britain. It was originally
protected by a spiked fence traditionally made of the pikes used by
British infantrymen in the Napoleonic Wars. But the new Bullring developer
the Birmingham Alliance refused to erect the fence because of fears that
shoppers might accidentally impale themselves. However in August 2005 the
spiked fence was reinstated.
|Boulton, Watt and Murdock
Outside the Register Office on Broad Street stands
the statue of Boulton, Watt and Murdock, It is the work of William
Bloye, formerly head of sculpture at Birmingham School of Art and was
unveiled in 1956, although preliminary designs were drawn up in 1938.
The larger than life- size figures are in bronze, with
a gold finish, on a pedestal of Portland stone and are depicted discussing
engine plans. The piece is in a "temporary" position and was
originally intended to stand outside a Planetarium, which was never built,
but which would have stood outside what is now the Repertory Theatre.
Latest in 2003 news was the statue has now been removed for restoration and will
be resited in Centenary Square in place of Forward Sculpture that was
destroyed by arsonists. (see below)
However in Nov 2005 there is still no return date or site agreed for its
||South African War Memorial
by Albert Toft 1905
Cannon Hill Park
A Bronze sculpture on a red granite pedestal To the glorious memory of the
SONS OF BIRMINGHAM
who fell in South Africa 1890-1902
and to perpetuate the example of all
who served in the Boer War.
This memorial is erected by their fellow citizens.
|The statue of Joseph
Sturge stands in front of the Swallow Hotel at Five Ways. It was
unveiled on 4th June 1862.
Joseph Sturge (1793-1859) was one of Birmingham's
greatest radicals. A Quaker, he campaigned tirelessly for peace, even
visiting St. Petersburg in an attempt to avert the Crimean War. He was
also an important member of the movement to obtain universal suffrage, at
a time when the vote was limited to only a few (male) citizens. However,
it was as a campaigner against slavery for which he is most fondly
remembered. His family were much involved with trade in the Caribbean and
Sturge knew only too well the continuing injustice of slavery.
||George Cadbury 1839-1922
Bronze bust by Francis Wood
The bust looks out from the Meeting House over the village green towards
the Cadbury factory. Born at Edgbaston, Birmingham, the son of John Cadbury,
tea and coffee merchant in Bull Street, who also made and sold cocoa and
George resolved to remove his cocoa works from the
crowded streets of Birmingham into the country as this would make for
happier and healthier lives for his employees. This was achieved in 1879,
when the works moved to Bournville. In 1895, George began the greatest
experiment of his life - the Bournville Building Estate - which, by 1900,
was to grow into the Bournville Village Trust. He bought 120 acres
of land next to the factory site and houses were designed to fit in with
the surroundings with a generous provision for gardens and open space.
1924 - 1968 by Bruce Williams, 1996
To many people Tony Hancock was probably the best
known comedian of the 1960s. From 1951 to 1953 he appeared on radio in
Hancock's Half Hour and then from 1956 to 1960 on television with superb
scripts written by Ray Galton and Alan Simpson. He was born at 42 Southam
Road, Hall Green,
Birmingham, on 12th May, 1924
This new photo taken 6th January 2003
is a rare glimpse of how it should look. The sun is low down behind the
statue shining through the glass beads giving the effect of a 405 line TV
Photo ? VirtualBrum
The sculpture was destroyed by vandals setting it ablaze on
> more photos
|Forward by Raymond Mason
Birmingham's most controversial work of art was
unveiled in 1991 in the centre of Centenary Square.
Cast in polyester resin, it represents the march of Birmingham from its
smokey industrial past into the future. Look out for Joseph Chamberlain
with his monocle and Josiah Mason, founder of the University, with an
armful of books. The Lady of the Arts, from the city's coat of arms, blows
a kiss to the past, while an actress curtsies to the Repertory Theatre.
The formula on the shoulder of the leading figure refers to DNA,
representing the continuing advance of scientific discovery. The
Birmingham trained scientist, Maurice Wilkins, was awarded the Nobel Prize
for work on DNA.
|Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House
Group of Trophies
by William Hollins 1813
This unique and splendid sculpture, fully in the round is set in a
niche at the Proof House in Banbury Street.
||Green Man a symbol of life, fertility and creativity,
Dimensions: 12m high
Materials: Steel & GRC
Sculptress Tawny Gray, from Zimbabwe has created this living
sculpture standing in front of the gateway to the new ?6 million
GreenHouse, arts and media complex, at the Custard Factory in Gibb Street.
It is the tallest statue in the City "Live willow and hawthorn
will sprout from the Green Man, and water will drop 30 ft down from his
raised left arm and the flames will dance on the surface of the water in
the pool at his feet." The sculpture was revealed to the public
on 21st June 2002